If you are looking for a super simple bread recipe to do with the kids this one is perfect!
My 10 year old daughter is fast becoming a keen baker, she has been making this recipe for a few weeks and has even slightly adapted it to make it her own and it is delicious. It really is very very easy to do and doesn’t require any yeast or buttermilk so the ingredients are only fairly standard cupboard stuff. It is so simple that she does it herself and has even taught my 6 year old to bake it too. It is perfect for kids of any age.
The milk can be replaced for a vegan alternative if you like.
350g self raising flour (plus extra for dusting – my daughter also adds an extra handful to form the dought if the mixture is too wet) 300ml milk (we use full fat but it doesn’t matter
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
- Prehead the oven to 210 degrees
- Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add milk and lemon juice and stir
- If the mixture is too watery add another handful of flour until you are able to form a firm dough into a ball
- Dust side with flour and knead the bread for about 5 minutes, adding more flour if it is too sticky
- Shape the dough and put it on baking tray with a little flour
- Cut a deep x shape in the top that goes almost to the bottom of the dough
- Pop straight in the oven and bake for 30 minutes